Chess is a popular board game played by millions worldwide. The game is a famous strategic game that is said to improve thinking ability and teaches the players to learn and develop patience and thoughtfulness, there are lot of lessons learned from chess.
Playing Chess helps you to learn and increase cognitive skills. It also helps you to learn and improves communication skills and aptitude in recognizing patterns.
Not only is it useful in improving the skills of its players, there are valuable success lesson that can be learnt from the game of chess.
Overtime, great leaders, strategists, and thinkers have showed how strategies of chess can mirror many of the challenges, strategies, and concepts of life.
Lessons learned from chess grandmaster players that will help you plan your path to success
Here are 5 things, you can start doing today, that all grandmaster chess players do – that’ll help you plan out your path to success with ease:
- Long term planning
- Adaptability and flexibility
- They learn from their mistakes
- They have a coach/mentor
- They learn from the best
- Long term planningGrandmaster chess players have one thing in common, it’s the ability to foresee events.
They have the ability to plan about eight to ten moves ahead, and plan out their winning strategies.
This applies to every highly achieving people and businesses, A long-term planning is about setting a process by which a particular strategic plan will be achieved.
- Adaptability & FlexibilitySomething notable about grandmaster chess players is the ability to quickly adapt to what’s going on in front of them, while from experience they may be able to understand patterns of their opponent, they don’t 100% predict the opponent’s next move.
So also is life, though you might plan ahead , sometimes, things do not go as planned, so it’s an important life skill to be able to adjust to these situations and continue on in life you should also prepare for the unexpected and adapt as quickly as possible.
- They have a coach/mentor.
It doesn’t matter how good they become, chess grandmasters always have someone to coach and support them. Someone that will point out the weaknesses they wouldn’t usually see in themselves.
A person that will challenge them to think harder than they’ve ever thought before…And someone that will be there for them during the times when they want to give up.
When you have a mentor in your life, it becomes easier to see where you’ve been going wrong or what you’ve been missing.
- They learn from their mistakes.Most people don’t like thinking about their mistakes. It makes them uncomfortable and stressed. And so most people avoid thinking about them altogether. They continue in life making the same mistakes over and over again.
Chess grandmasters, on the other hand, accept their mistakes. And they study the games they lost, they are humble enough to realize that they are just human and that they make mistakes like everyone else.
They also know that their mistakes don’t define them. And they quickly move on with a lesson.
When you learn from your mistakes, you’ll find it easier to avoid similar mistakes in the future.
“A teachable spirit and a humbleness to admit your ignorance or your mistake will save you a lot of pain. However, if you’re a person who knows it all, then you’ve got a lot of heavy-hearted experiences coming your way.”
― Ron Carpenter Jr
- They learn from the best.Success leaves clues and it’s true in chess too.Chess grandmasters get all the chess books they can. They study the games of other masters. And they see how they can bring new ideas to their own games.They’re not afraid of learning from others, or accepting that they aren’t the smartest or best.They know that the only way they’ll get better is by staying humble.
When you learn from others, from their mistakes and experiences, it’s like a fast track to success in life, this lesson I’ve studied and learnt the hard way. Instead of working it all out yourself, why not just follow a proven path to success?
This doesn’t mean you won’t experience your own mistakes, but learning from someone who has crossed the limits you’re struggling with will undoubtedly catalyse your own success.
Further reading on Grandmotivation.com: For more personal and professional development, check out my articles on 7 rules to overcome limits and achieve success, ways to consistently stay motivated and quotes that will inspire you to pursue your dreams.
Which one of this lessons will you start implementing?
Leave a reply…
Don’t forget to share!